The Caribbean is home to hundreds of striking beaches and magnificent resorts; the climate is superb in February and relatively uncrowded.
If you’re on a tight leash check our Best Budget Islands page headed by the brilliant white strands of the Dominican Republic with loads of things to do when the beach begins to bore, lively, lovely and culture-rich Jamaica at number two.
Sai Kaew Beach on Koh Samet‘s (aka Koh Samed) east side at sunrise.
Egypt‘s Red Sea beach resorts as well as Israel‘s rather tired Eilat are competitively priced, the sun is endless, the coral is a blooming joy, the sea’s at it’s coldest but still 20°C and day trips to Luxor are sensational if you can handle crowds or go it alone.
The Red Sea’s average air temperature is 20°C in February (16°C at night) and water temperature will be around 20°C, with low humidity and little chance of rain.
Sydney’s famous Bondi Beach on a mild surf day, East Coast Australia. Photo by Adam J.
– Byron Bay, between Sydney and Brisbane, for a neo-hippie ‘alternative’ beach scene.
– North Stradbroke Island, near Brisbane, for wildlife walks, quiet beaches and good surf.
– Noosa Heads, Sunshine Coast, a tranquil, dispersed town with great, soft beaches, parks and surf.
Florida and especially down south in Miami or the Florida Keys it should be very warm and sunny in February, with highs generally around 77F (25C) and lows around 63F (17C), so very comfortable. However, sea waters will still be chilly for swimming and some rain may fall.
Southern California also runs to very warm day time temperatures with occasional rain showers during February. Long Beach averages highs of 66F (19C) in February.
Beaches services and facilities may be limited and seaweed evident, depending on the area.
– The Canary Islands, enjoy a climate of perpetual summer with sunshine as standard and temperatures between 18C (64F) and the upper 30Cs; there are beaches of all types available, activities, nudist, family, surfing, wild town sand, back-to-nature coves.
The southern sections of islands tend to be the warmest and Fuerteventura and Lanzarote the sunniest. La Palma is the wettest island. Water temperatures are not very high, ranging from 18C in winter to 22º C in summer.
– Datai Beach, Langkawi Island. One of the world’s most secluded and picture-perfect hideaways.
– Pantai Teluk Belanga (Emerald Bay), Pangkor Laut. A luxury resort on a perfect crescent bay of a tiny private island.
The peninsula region of Cancun with Boulevard Kukulkan’s strip clearly visible on the right. Heading right (east) goes to the downtown area on the mainland while straight down the strip and then right at the far end gets to the airport
Fine beaches on both Pacific side such as Cabo San Lucas and Caribbean coasts such as Cancun, should be getting highs of around 82F (28C) and lows of 66F (19C) with occasional showers. Mexico is not too busy in February and the Yucatan peninsula is scattered with magnificent ancient sites a day trip from Maya Riviera beaches, such as Chichen Itza and Uxmal, great snorkelling and diving, fantastic food, exotic drinks and all at bargain prices.
Visitors arriving by ferryboat from Palawan on White Beach, Boracay island, Philippines. Photo by choi2451
Philippines is a very good value destination populated by lovely people (apart from certain individuals in government) and offering some magnificent tropical beaches tho’ not often easy to get to. For example White Beach on Boracay Island is coated with exceptionally white, soft sand that never gets hot, fringed by palm trees and a large number of small, friendly hotels/bars/restaurants. But you have to fly to the nearby island of Palawan and catch a banca or small ferry boat to get there, which may involve jumping off into shallow-ish water off White Beach.
– Honda Bay, Palawan, Philippines. An area of outstanding natural beauty.
– Malapascua Island, Cebu. Relatively unknown but highly rated on the world’s best beach/dive.
– Muelle Bay, Puerto Galera, Mindoro Island. An ideal place to do island-hopping on to pristine beaches.