• Public transport is unreliable and some grasp of French is vital for individual travellers, so horrible as it may seem, consider a package tour if you have special interests and/or limited time in Madagascar.
• Appalling deforestation (85% gone up in smoke) is putting the exotic flora and fauna on the endangered list.
• Crime is on the up, especially in Antananarivo (Tana), so observe Safety suggestions.
• It can get extremely hot (we recorded 61C/142F there on one occasion, in the shade).
• Malaria, see more below under Safety.
• Just about every park/reserve requires a permit.