– go early (before 8am) and return late (after 8pm).
– go totally out of season.
– travel by motorcycle or helicopter (not a joke, this is how les riches get to de Trop).
– take a fast ferry from Nice of about 45 minutes or a slow ferry from Cannes (1. 5 hours), St Rafael or St Maxime (just across the water and before the worst of the traffic jams, so drive there via the A8 autoroute, park and take the ferry across the bay.
– the nearest airport is Toulon-Hyeres and even Ryanair flies there from Stanstead.
– go somewhere as nice but more accessible, such as any of the Caps between Nice and Monaco.
An overview of St Tropez from the Citadel on the hill. On the distant right Saint Maxime is visible, a pleasant town with fair beaches and an excellent place from which to catch a ferry to reach St Trop without being trapped in a car for hours.