Swimming in the thermal lake of Sejar in the middle of the driest desert in the world, Chile pictures.
Chile Pictures: the five top attractions
Hiking to the Grey Glacier in Torres del Paine National Park, southern Chile. Photo by Liam Quinn
• The Atacama desert, the hub of which is San Pedro de Atacama, which is hundreds of miles north of the capital of Santiago.
• The World Heritage port of Valparaiso. This, in turn, is hundreds of miles north of Chile’s premier activity base of. . .
• Pucon and the gorgeous Lake District. Pucon and its rival action centre, Puerto Varas, are hundreds of miles north of incredible mountains and treks in. . .
• Torres del Paine National Park, while all of the above are thousands of miles east of the wildest Chile sights of all on Easter Island.
• Easter Island, a bleak, blasted and fascinating island scattered with extraordinary ancient art. If you can afford the time and money to get there, go.
Chile’s best seasons are October-November (spring), March-April (autumn).
El Tatio geysers, Atacama, Chile
Which of these seasons suits you depends on your destinations and activities.
Worst: January, February (midsummer, extremely hot in the north/centre and crowded, expensive everywhere), also June, July, August (rain in the centre or extreme cold in the south; busy and expensive up north).