A quiet, beach-side resort in Sanur, east Bali. Photo shot from the enjoyable 5km Sanur beachwalk path, next to the substantial beach with protective reef and many facilities. In other words, no CAT!
• Surfers? Head for Bukit west coast, especially Bingin beach for great atmosphere and all-age surfing. Budget accommodation and terrific beach dining but lots of steps! Regular sandy section too for non-surfers, BTW.
• Party people on a budget who can tolerate CAT? Head for Kuta beach.
• Party people with a generous budget? Head for Seminyak or Legian beaches.
• Family beach people on a budget? Head for Sanur beach resorts or possibly Bukit’s Geger beach.
• Family beach people on a generous budget? Head for Bukit’s manicured Nusa Dua (probably the smartest, cleanest, least CAT region of Bali!) and get 5* Bali culture built-in.
• Bali culture seekers? Head for Ubud, in spite of CAT!
• Adventurers? Head way north, west or to another island. Sorry we can’t help you more, our team had quite enough work checking Bali south of Ubud region in 2016.
See below for specific beach recommendations and photos.