Mt Pilatus Map
This map shows the main activities involved in a Lake Lucerne 'Golden Round Trip'.
Click the map to see a bigger image of Mt Pilatus.
Tourists taking the 'Golden Round Trip' buy a relatively good value day pass but have personal responsibility to find and board the right public transport system at various times throughout the day. This is how it goes:
- board a ferry from the main port beside KKL (shiny black culture centre), train and bus station. The ferry wanders about Lake Lucerne (aka Vierwald-Stattersee) for 90 minutes before docking at Alpnachstad. Hint: get on the right side of the boat (starboard/right side usually), near the exit before arriving at Alpnachstad and move off quickly as most other tourists on the ferry will also be heading 100m to the cogwheel carriage stop and seats are limited in these tiny carriages so waiting times can be long if it's high season!
p.s. you can also take a 20 minute train ride (direction: Sarnen) to Alpnachstad.
- take a carriage on the world's steepest cogwheel railway to almost the top of Mount Pilatus (Kulm) and the spectacular views (if the weather is clear). Travel time: 30 minutes.
- from Pilatus Kulm take a walk, long or short, 10 minutes to several hours. Click on the map above for a bigger, more detailed hiking map.
Alternatively have a scenic lunch: sandwiches, beers and picnic tables available or splash out on a fine lunch at one of the restaurants.
If you're feeling frisky take the fast way down, hanging from a paraglider.
- Going down... take a cable car just 5 minutes to Frakmuntegg, an activity centre offering summer toboggan runs (not very fast) or the largest rope park - with zip-lines and aerial walkways - in Central Switzerland, the Pilatus-Seilpark.
Hint: The rope park closes at about 6pm in summer but the entry fee covers a 3 hour stay, so get there in time (not easy if you hike Pilatus) if you want your child to have a full session.
- Then hop on a personal gondola (a small cable car) for a 30m drop to Kriens.
- Walk 5 minutes down to the bus stop (well-signposted).
- Take #1 bus back to Luzern Banhof (station). 15 minutes.
n.b. the well-heeled can stay overnight at one of the Mount Pilatus hotels, the historic Pilatus-Kulm or the more modern Bellevue.
There are other good value Central Switzerland multi-transport, travel passes available, including 7-day and 15-day 'Tell-Pass'