Maui Hawaii Pictures
Maui Travel Guide | Weather | Hawaii Islands Map | Maui Map | Maui Beaches
Maui is the second biggest Hawaiian island but many travellers think it's the best island bar none, offering hikers, bikers and drivers numerous waterfalls, freshwater pools, lush greenery and spectacular viewpoints in relative tranquility...more.
This Banyan tree in the center of Hawaii's old capital-by-the-sea, Lahaina, is the size of an entire city block.
Photo by Melikamp
Lahaina, in West Maui, was once the capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii, and is now a pleasant historic seaside town that gets a lot of tourist interest, with ancient buildings mixing with funky art galleries and interesting cafés and boutiques. more.
Kaanapali beach, Maui, looking over to Kahoolawe island.
Maui beaches are among Hawaii's best, embracing more swimming and windsurfing places than other Hawaiian islands. It's also the best place to see whales from.
Ka'anapali beach and its soft brown sand is located in front of the Kaanapali Resort, extending
nearly 3 miles from Kahekili Beach in the north to Hanakaoo Beach
(Canoe Beach) in the south. The beach is lined by a concrete walkway, hotels, restaurants
and activity centres and is one of the best place for watersports
and activities in Hawaii...more.
A Kaanapali Beach resort, Lahaina.
Mount Haleakala, a popular hiking, biking, horseback riding and driving area.
Things to do in Maui - apart from beaches - are:
- Hike, bike, horseback ride or even rent a car and drive the dramatic, off-planet volcanic area of Haleakala National Park, rising to 10,023ft (3,000m) in Maui's southeast. Sunsets are superb but sunrise is the very best time to catch the view from..more.
- Drive the awesome 52 mile (85kms) Hana Highway (HI 360) route from lovely little Hana in East Maui to Kahului, hair-raising twists, turns and precipitous bits with views ranging from seascapes to waterfalls to buzzing rainforests.
- Go whale watching December-May from Lahaina, an ancient whale station.
- Charter a boat for fishing or sailing from Lahaina or Maalaea Bay. The Auau Channel between Maui, Lanai and Molokai is generally calm and pretty.
- Snorkeling and scuba is best in West Maui or South Maui but especially good around Black Rock, north Kaanapali Beach
The colourful reefs of the little island of Molokini is popular with scuba divers.
||GAA operate two good value, adventurous 8 day cruises around the Hawaiian Islands, including guided hiking trips, snorkeling, kayaking, paddle-boards and more: Cruise North | Cruise South
The Seven Sacred Pools waterfalls in Haleakala National Park, near Hana.
Paia Bay, Maui.
Windsurfing in Maui's November International Ho'okipia Beach Park contest
Makena Beach in South Maui, aka Big Beach, is probably Maui's best beach - long, wide and protected by lava outcrops. Next, Big Island Pictures.
Hawaii Travel Guide | Hawaii Islands Pictures | Oahu | Big Island | Hawaii Beaches