The Radcliffe Camera, a reading room annexe of the Bodleian Library, Oxford.
Photo by Laemq
The focus of Oxford tourism is, of course, on the grand university area in the centre, the oldest English-speaking educational establishment in the world.
magnificent, tranquil colleges are, in a similar way to Cambridge
but more so, surrounded by the unfortunate trappings of modern
life - traffic, hideous concrete office structures, monotonous
suburban housing and light industry.
Still, once you battle through the encircling modern mess the
ancient university core is delightful, easily walkable and rewarding
with open green spaces offered by Christ Church Meadow, adjacent
to Christ Church and Merton colleges and providing very pleasant
walks along the Cherwell or Thames (known as the Isis in Oxford)
Oxford High Street and Queens College.
Photo by Doc Searls
• Carfax crossroads and its tower on the High Street is a common
starting point for a walking tour.
• Merton college, separated from Christ Church Meadow by the
hardly tragic Dead Man's Walk, is one of the University's most
• up Rose Lane to Magdalene College and punt rental is available
on the River Cherwell.
• north of High Street is Oxford's best known sight, the circular
Radcliffe Camera building.
• another Christopher Wren contribution, the Sheldonian Theatre.
• the magnificent Ashmolean Museum, home to sensational ethnic antiquities of Egyptian,
Chinese and Islamic origins, as well as fine European paintings.
• the renowned Bodleian Library (guide tours only).
The Bodleian Library entrance, appropriately inscrutable and academic.
Christ Church Cathedral, the chapel of Christ Church college as well as serving the diocese of Oxford.
Photo by Decan
• just south of High Street, Christ Church college is the university's biggest college, built in 16th century
and partly designed by Christopher Wren (architect of London's St Paul's Cathedral), with several spectacular buildings
including a Norman cathedral.
Christ Church college dining hall.
Photo by chensiyuan
England Pictures: Chester | Cambridge | York | London | Stratford-upon-Avon | Cotswolds
Guide | London
Guide | UK Walks | England
Tourist Map | England