World Festivals and Events
These are the busiest times of the year for these locations unless it happens to be the monsoon season, so book accommodation well in advance of dates.
Ask permission before taking pictures or videos if possible, festival participants are human too, well, most of them. That being said it's easier to take photos of locals going loco at these times than normally.
Festivals tend to be crowded and pickpockets may well be lurking, so keep valuables to a minimum and money in a zipped or buttoned pocket. Read the Travel Safety section.
Art Festivals Calendar - events that focus on music, dance, drama and
other art-oriented activities, usually set in pretty, interesting
locations, often in Europe.
These festivals can be expensive; accommodation and even tickets will need to be booked well beforehand. Similar to European festivals (see below), but focusing on the most outstanding events worldwide.
Snowbombing music festival, with wild bands in a fantasy alpine setting, Austria.
Best Music Festivals Calendar - the best and sometimes the biggest musical events.
Best European Festivals Calendar - happenings in Europe that tend to be of the Art and Music Festival variety, though exotic flourishes of colourful expression still exist, especially around Carnival time February/March.
Best World Festivals Calendar - outstanding, colourful events in superb locations, often exotic heritage events that usually include a variety of activities, but mostly focus on local people in local dress doing traditionally loco things to the amazement and delight of visitors.
Glastonbury Music Festival, England.
Best English Speaking Festivals Calendar - world class festivals and events in English Speaking Countries; these may be art-oriented, colourfully odd happenings or extraordinary sporting occasions.
• comfortable walking shoes.
• compact cold and rain protection.
• hat, sunglasses and sun block.
• painkillers and plasters/band-aid.
• mosquito repellant?
• lightweight, large water bottle and possibly booze/energy drinks transferred to plastic bottles.
• a distinctive flag to find yourself later (!)
• wind-up or solar phone charger.
• a handkerchief for wiping sweat, dabbing mud off the camera or naff but light headgear and more.
• some compact protein for energy maintenance. Nuts? Beef jerky? Roll mop herrings?