The view from Oia across to one of the smaller towns, perhaps Imerovigli.
Things to do on Santorini
• walk along the caldera rim from Fira to Oia at least, timing it to get sunset at Ia (Oia). The walk from Perissa beach to Kamari beach along Ancient Thira route is also recommended.
• hit the beaches, but you’ll have to tolerate hot stones and cool water, apart from Red Beach where they take the trouble to lay wood shavings on the pebbles. Kamari has a pleasant promenade environment, Red Beach is the fashionable one and near to Akrotiri ancient site while other isolated beaches await the adventurous. You’ll probably need your own transport. Beaches pictures and more information.
• visit Akrotiri ancient Minoan site (photo below), preserved by volcanic ash from the massive eruption about 3, 500 years ago that arguably spawned the Atlantis legend. If the ruins and frescoes ring your bell then you could also visit the Museum of Prehistoric Thira in Fira to see a lot more recovered artifacts.
• take a ferry/excursion across to Nea Kameni and/or Thirasia islands for a short hike and long view or even to Palia Kameni for a dip in the hot springs.
• tour the wineries and taste locally grown wines. Mesa Gonia and Megalochori both have a couple of wineries that welcome tourists.
• Scuba dive the caldera. There are several dive shops on Santorini, including on Kamari, Perissa and Caldera beaches. All scuba centres dive in the same location to protect the environment, though not at the same time! Visibility is extremely good but fishy life forms quite limited, other than octopi that are thriving. The main sights are a wreck near the volcano and a popular wall dive.
• Snorkelling. Again, very clear, warm waters and some extravagant rock formations though not a lot of fish. Caldera Beach near Akrotiri is popular, as are Perissa and Perivolos beaches and Potamos beach off Thirasia island.
– Driving around to visit villages though we were very disappointed by much touted Pyrgos, the highest point in the island (Picturesque? No. Friendly? No. Interesting. No. Great views? No. etc. etc. ) and see some delightful modern adobe architecture.
• Cycling. Nope, biking is not so good here as the landscape is hilly, there are no dedicated bike trails and rentals are few and far between