- Many fantastic Greek
beaches, see pictures
- Some enjoyable and characterful Turkish beaches,
- Some deservedly famous French
beaches; the Cote d'Azur is overcrowded, with St Tropez heading the bling list and Cannes or Juan-les-Pins close behind with Antibes' sandy stretches, Cagnes-sur-Mer and Nice's stony strands much better value. Corsica
beaches (an island) are less busy, less costly and more beautiful. Take a ferry from Nice or fly there.
- There's still a little space left in Spain but generally it's overbuilt, overrun and overheated in August, though this is the best time for Spain's Atlantic Coast.
- Superb, dazzling, emerald seas and golden rocks of Sardinia and Lampedusa islands, Italy.
- Croatia beaches, not the Med, but the nearby Adriatic offshoot and one of Europe's newer destinations offering a handful of attractive, secluded and low cost beach holidays.
Ocean See also Pacific
- USA: Fine sands and warm waters in Hawaii and California unless the fog rolls in...
- Chile: Anakena beach, Easter
Island. Not a huge beach but soft sand, clear sea,
palm trees and six huge moai monitoring the traffic.
- French Polynesia: Matira Beach, Bora
Bora. One of South Pacific's
best beaches, beginning at the famous resort Hotel Bora Bora.
Islands, Fiji, a group of islands with small
sandy beaches and low cost backpacker resorts.
- One Foot Island Beach, islet of Aitutaki Island, the Cook
- South coast of Ofu Island, American Samoa. A wonderful landscape
with very few tourists.
- Lefaga Beaches and Aleipata Beach, Upolu island, Western Samoa.
Little known but one of the cutest beaches in the South
- Ha'apai Beach, Foa
island, Ha'apai islands, Tonga. Low cost with the friendly locals.
- Indonesia: Bali's beaches range from big and busy with surfing (Kuta) to calm resorts with outdoor dining (Jimbaran), but there's plenty to do, culture too!
- Madagascar: Ile Sainte Marie is an idyllic island resort fringed by peaceful beaches.
- Tanzania: Zanzibar's best beaches are on the north and east coasts, though experienced travellers often enjoy neighbouring Mafia Island's isolation.
A perfect way to end the holiday after doing a Tanzania wildlife safari.
USA: Florida's beaches are overheating now on east and west shores; the Keys are getting uncomfortably humid and storms start stirring up the waters and blow-drying the coast.
- UK: The shores are craggily attractive, the water temperature is tolerable now and British beaches are looking tempting, especially those on the warm south coast such as Dorset and Cornwall.
- Many excellent beaches in Portugal.
- Some great stretches of soft sand on the west coast of France, such as La Rochelle, Arcachon, Biarritz and St
Jean de Luz.
- Essaouira, Morocco. A tranquil seaside resort popular with independent
- Berjaya Tioman Beach Resort, a secluded, palm-fringed beach, or
Kampung Juara for total serenity, Tioman Island.
- Long Beach, Kecil Island, Perhentian Islands. A popular destination
for budget travelers.
- Redang Island, Redang archipelago, with a superb marine park,
is excellent for scuba/snorkel addicts.
- Turtle Beach and Golden Beach, Similajau National Park, Sarawak.
Well worth the hassle to get there for some of Malaysia's finest
- The north-west shores above Perth are home to the amazing Ningaloo Reef and massive stretches of dazzling, people-free sand. North East Coast (Cairns & Great Barrier Reef islands) is hot all year (above 26C) but Jan-March gets some rain and cloud while
December-January is crowded and super heated, so April-November is best
Depends on the island but rain, wind and choppy seas may be visiting and hurricanes are possible.
However, if you're really keen on a little time in this region and August is your holiday month then there is one cluster of Caribe islands that is well out of the hurricane belt down in the south and still functioning normally, the Dutch Caribbean, including Aruba, Bonaire (for diving and windsurfing) and Curaçao. See our Caribbean Best Budget Islands page.
Beaches that are probably not a good idea in August
(South East Coast):
- it's winter and water is chilly in southern Australia, go north but don't expect much surf, just toxic jellies.
No thanks! Storm season means frequent rough seas, cloud, wind,
May - October is the worst time to go, particularly on the west coast due to heavy rains.
The Gulf (east) Coast has a less rain than the west
but for longer periods, from June - December .
islands hosting some of the world's best
beaches, but July to September are the worst months to be on sands due to the south-east trade winds, while it is a good time for surfing.
- Palau, the Rock Islands known for their coral rock formations, colourful underwater life and stunning beaches, but typhoons can be expected between June and August.