Red Sea beach resorts around Egypt's coast and Israel's unattractive Eilat are low-cost holiday destinations with plenty of sun, luscious coral growth, warm seas and day trips to Luxor for a spot of ancient site-seeing.
The air temperature in this region is about 27°C in April (23°C at night) and water temperature is 22°C with low humidity and almost no chance of rain.
- Seychelles: Pricey but dazzling
island resorts including some of the world's most photographed
- Mauritius: Flic en Flac, Trou aux Biches and Paradis beach. Less exclusive and expensive than Seychelles
but excellent nevertheless and more off-beach activities available.
- The Maldives Islands: Endless spectacular silky sand beaches on coral atolls with equally spectacular resorts and astronomical prices.
Most visitors come on packages, staying at one of the 90 otherwise
uninhabited resort islands. Resorts are well set up with beautiful
beaches and clear azure seas, great for snorkeling and diving. There
are no cultural experience at all, just luxury and escapism with
no hassle. Photos.
- India: Goa beaches. April is just after the best season but there are still a couple of good months left. A tourist magnet but still fun. The least crowded stretches are north of the Chapora River.
The Caribbean encompasses thousands of brilliant beaches and azure seas but Easter school holidays is high season so if you're keen on keeping spending down check our Best Budget Islands page.
Dominican Republic smashes the opposition to take number one in the value chart - big, beautiful and activities galore, with culture rich Jamaica wailing in at two and, let's hear it for American culture with a twist, Puerto Rico at three, direct flights and no passports required for US citizens; same for US Virgin Islands.
Yacht sailors like the line-of-sight navigation of the British Virgin Islands with the Spanish Virgin Islands (around Puerto Rico) also popular.
Mexico beaches are smaller and busier on the Caribbean side than the Pacific, but there are also amazing sights nearby (such as Chichen Itza pyramids), fantastic food, exotic drinks and all at a low price.
(north-east and south-west coast)
- it's early autumn and water is chilly in south-east Australia around Sydney, but the north-east, near Cairns and the west coast's Perth area should be warm, beaches are massive and life is relaxed.
- Datai Beach, Langkawi Island. One of the world's most secluded
and picture-perfect hideaways.
- Pantai Teluk Belanga (Emerald Bay), Pangkor Laut. A luxury resort
on the brilliant crescent bay of a tiny private island.
- Berjaya Tioman Beach Resort, a secluded, palm-fringed beach, or
Kampung Juara for
total serenity. Both on Tioman Island.
- Long Beach, Kecil Island, Perhentian Islands. A popular destination
for budget travelers.
- Puraran Beach, Catanduanes Island, one of the Philippines' major
surf venues with with white sand that demands a hug.
- Redang Island, Redang archipelago, with a superb marine park,
is excellent for scuba/snorkel addicts.
- Turtle Beach and Golden Beach, Similajau National Park, Sarawak.
Well worth the hassle to get there for some of Malaysia's finest
- Honda Bay, Palawan, Philippines. An area of outstanding natural
- Malapascua Island, Cebu. Relatively unknown but highly rated as
one of the world's best beach/dives.
- Bantayan Island, Cebu. A low-key, laid-back resort with friendly
- Muelle Bay, Puerto Galera, Mindoro Island. An ideal place to go
island-hopping on to pristine beaches.
- Alona Beach, Panglao Island, Bohol. A picturesque beach near the
famous Chocolate Hills landscape.
- White Beach, Boracay Island. Exceptionally white, soft sand that
never gets hot, a long palm fringe and with a huge variety of small,
Ne Beach, near Phan Thiet. An upcoming resort area known
for its spectacular sand dunes.
- Hon Chong Beach, Ha Tien; a seductive beach near the Cambodian
- Bai Tam (Long Beach), Phu Quoc Island. A secret jewel of Southeast
- USA: the state of Florida is southerly enough to be warm by April, but keep on going south to the Florida Keys for smaller beaches and more heat.
- Canary Islands (Spain), a grand variety of sunny Canaries beaches are on offer from action-packed, to big and placid or secluded and natural. La Palma is the wettest island. Water temperatures are not very warm, ranging from 18ºC in winter to 22ºC in summer.
- South Africa, Camps Bay, with stunning views and easy access from
beautiful Capetown, but chilly water.
- Brazil is blessed with many massive, fine beaches, such as Rio's magnificent Copacabana- perhaps the world's best city beach?
Ocean. See also Pacific
- USA: Fine sands and warm waters in California and Hawaii (though it is better to avoid 'Golden Week' between the last week of April and the first week of May as Japanese spring holiday makers invade Hawaii, especially Waikiki, so it is likely to be packed and pricy.
- Rock Islands, Palau, known for their curious and beautiful coral
rock formations and great beaches.
- Spain's Balearic Islands - especially Majorca, Minorca and Ibiza - have been one of Europe's most popular beach holiday destinations for years and start cranking up the action in April; they're inexpensive, see plenty of sun and host some of the Europe's best beaches as well as superb hiking trails and nightlife.
Spain's southern coasts, such as Costa de la Luz and Costa del Sol will probably be sunny but the water will be cold.
April is just after the best season for both east and west coast beaches, though it gets hotter, stickier towards rainy season; it's a long way to go for most of us but once you're there it's magic - apart from some degree of sleaze...low prices, lovely people, fascinating culture, exquisite food and of course magnificent stretches of sand to suit all tastes from Phuket to Pattaya and Phi Phi; see Thai beaches map and beach pictures.
Beach holiday destinations that are probably not a good idea in April
- Kenya: Diani or Serena beaches are good for families and great value
for money, but not from April to June, a long rainy season.
- Tanzania: A perfect holiday end after doing a Tanzania wildlife safari on Zanzibar's best beaches, though April and May are not a perfect time due to the wet season.
South Pacific such as the Cook Islands, Fiji and Samoas are still in a rainy season, try next month.
Top of Page