This is the best season for beaches on both Thailand’s coasts including our favourite island, Koh Samet. Who can refuse low prices, lovely people, fascinating culture, exquisite food and of course magnificent sand to suit all budgets from Phuket to Pattaya and Phi Phi; see Thai beaches map and beach pictures.
Egypt’s Red Sea beach resorts as well as Israel‘s unattractive Eilat are low-cost holiday destinations with plenty of sun, luscious coral growth, warm seas and day trips to Luxor for a spot of ancient site-seeing.
The Red Sea’s air temperature is generally about 23°C in March (19°C at night) and water temperature is 21°C with low humidity and little chance of rain.
Tulum beach, Maya temple, Mexico. Photo by Jim
Fine beaches on both Pacific side such as Cabo San Lucas and Caribbean coasts such as Cancun, should be getting highs of around 82F (28C) and lows of 66F (19C) in March, with occasional showers. However, Mexican beaches will experience the joys of Spring Break US college vacation madness during this month, particularly Cabos, Cancun and maybe Acapulco so steer clear of these destinations if fit, drunk, semi-naked teenagers are of no interest.
– Byron Bay, between Sydney and Brisbane, for a neo-hippie ‘alternative’ beach scene.
– North Stradbroke Island, near Brisbane, for wildlife walks, quiet beaches and good surf.
– Noosa Heads, Sunshine Coast, a tranquil, dispersed town with great, soft beaches, parks and surf.
– Fraser Island’s Lake McKenzie; clear freshwatersurrounded by rainforest and the purest white sand.
– Datai Beach, Langkawi Island. One of the world’s most secluded and picture-perfect hideaways.
– Pantai Teluk Belanga (Emerald Bay), Pangkor Laut. A luxury resort on the brilliant crescent bay of a tiny private island.
– Berjaya Tioman Beach Resort, a secluded, palm-fringed beach, or Kampung Juarafor total serenity. Both on Tioman Island.
– Long Beach, Kecil Island, Perhentian Islands. A popular destination for budget travelers.
– Puraran Beach, Catanduanes Island, one of the Philippines’ major surf venues with with white sand that demands a hug.
– Redang Island, Redang archipelago, with a superb marine park, is excellent for scuba/snorkel addicts.
– Turtle Beach and Golden Beach, Similajau National Park, Sarawak. Well worth the hassle to get there for some of Malaysia’s finest beaches.
– Honda Bay, Palawan, Philippines. An area of outstanding natural beauty.
– Malapascua Island, Cebu. Relatively unknown but highly rated as one of the world’s best beach/dives.
– Bantayan Island, Cebu. A low-key, laid-back resort with friendly locals.
– Muelle Bay, Puerto Galera, Mindoro Island. An ideal place to go island-hopping on to pristine beaches.
– Alona Beach, Panglao Island, Bohol. A picturesque beach near the famous Chocolate Hills landscape.
– White Beach, Boracay Island. Exceptionally white, soft sand that never gets hot, a long palm fringe and with a huge variety of small, friendly accommodations.
Camps Bay, South Africa
– Canary Islands (Spain), a grand variety of beaches on offer from action-packed, to big and placid, to secluded and natural.
– South Africa, Camps Bay, with stunning views and easy access from beautiful Cape Town, but chilly water.
– Brazil is blessed with many massive, fine beaches, such as Rio’s magnificent Copacabana- perhaps the world’s best city beach- though the seas are usually rough and cold. (December-February is Brazil’s summer holiday season so a busy time and extremely hot, 40C+).