• Stroll the South Bank and its cultural offerings: Performing Arts Centre, Queensland Museum, the State Library, Queensland Art Gallery and Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA). When you’ve had enough of that chill out at the free South Beach lagoon (photo above), ethnic restaurants, cafés, and riverside promenades.
• Visit the Queensland Museum and Science Centre, a modern and interesting collection of exhibits and information on local natural history, culture, science and more.
• Head out to the Lone Pine koala sanctuary, a natural home for the little furry morons (yes, really, they expend all their energy on digesting eucalyptus leaves and very little on intellectual endeavour). You can cuddle the little porkers if you wish, or feed parrots. The place also houses other Australian wildlife such as kangaroos, dingoes and wombats.
• Take a Tangalooma day cruise to watch whales, hand feed wild dolphins, or just flake out on a magnificent beach at the Tangalooma Resort.
• Do some activities like biking alongside the 27 kms (17 miles) of dedicated cycle tracks – mainly beside the river, kayaking down the river or climbing up/abseiling down Kangaroo Point Cliffs.
• Climb the The Story Bridge, a pretty, old bridge across the Brisbane River. Not quite up to the heights of Sydney’s Harbour Bridge but still offers a thrill.
• Check the panoramic view at Mt Coot-tha Lookout, along with the Botanic Gardens, the Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium and the Tsuki yama chisen Japanese Garden.
Mt Coot-tha has many hiking and cycling tracks and a scenic drive up to the summit where sweaty riders will find not only spectacular views but also the essential cold beers and grub.
• Hear live music at Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley entertainment centre.
• If the family needs animal time then Australia Zoo is a good option. Originated by the late lamented Steve Irwin it’s now run by his widow Lyn. The zoo has won several major awards.
Visitors can see a wide variety of birds, mammals, and reptiles and have hands-on animal encounters.
• Take a river cruise. If you’re desperate.